Welcome to Healthy Fit Smart
Certified Sports Nutritionist (ISSA)
I have always had a strong interest in sports and nutrition. As a child, I was an active swimmer, dedicated martial artist and proponent of resistance training. After finishing school my lifestyle became more sedentary and like most of us pursuing a career and having more demands placed on their time I started to gain weight.
While I had always been in good shape during my formative years I eventually tipped the scales at 249lbs and realized I had been living in denial to some extent about the direction my health was heading and what this could eventually lead to. It was at this realized it was time to start making major changes or I would end up overweight, inactive and unhappy.
I tried many different approaches including running (up to 20km per week), doing hundred of pushups every single day and reducing my intake of fat and calories in general. While this did result in some weight loss the results were negligible and I caused damage to my shoulder (rotator cuff injury though overtraining) and knees thanks to road running most days. This led me to believe, at least for a short period that my current shape was a result of genetics and try as I might it wasn’t something I was going to be able to address in any great way.
It was only when I started researching nutrition and strength and conditioning that I realized my approach had been wrong and in many ways was causing more harm than good. It sure felt that way!
Nowadays my weight is approx. 187lbs (a total loss of 62lbs) and I have more energy and feel great. This change is largely the result of having a better understanding of nutrition and how the body reacts to meaningful exercise.
I have since become passionate about helping others to achieve similar results. I know all too well that many of us are prepared to put in the work but are often doing the wrong things thanks to misleading weight loss advice in the public domain and unhealthy foods often marketed to us as healthy.
The majority of the articles I have contributed to the site focus on weight management and helping our readers improve their strength and fitness.
Some of my most popular articles include:
I look forward to helping you achieve your health and fitness goals.
Topics the team at Healthy – Fit – Smart are most passionate about include:
- Improving your diet to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as Diabetes and Heart Disease. Two of the leading causes of death in the world today (and also two of the most preventable).
- How to lose weight and keep it off for life through a combination of nutrition and exercise.
- Improving mobility and performance through resistance training while reducing the risk of injury.
- How to continue to lead an active lifestyle if you do have limitations on your ability to exercise e.g. joint pain and mobility issues.
- Educating our audience to the hidden dangers of modern living. This includes understanding the impact harmful chemicals and food additives can have on you and your family.
The team at Healthy Fit smart are passionate about helping you become Healthier, Fitter and Smarter about the choices you make to improve your health.